Director, Legal Services
- Pivotal organisational role providing expert advice
- Newly created position
- Be part of leading one of the largest legal teams in Victoria
As a key member of the senior management team, this newly created position, will provide authoritative expert advice on matters of legal significance, including risks and opportunities for the organisation. Ensuring representation is provided to the Chief Commissioner of Police from internal and or external legal practitioners on legal matters, the role will participate in formulating strategic plans, priorities and provide advice on police prosecutions and broader legal matters. The Director, Legal Services will also play an active role facilitating involvement in law reform discussions and sponsor continuous improvement initiatives.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Legal Services/ General Counsel, this role is a key leadership role in the division. Responsible for supporting legal operations, staff development, management of allocated portfolios, the successful candidate will also consult and collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders and negotiate outcomes that benefit Victoria Police.
Victoria Police is a contemporary and agile workplace and support flexible working arrangements.
To be successful in the role you will be an experienced leader and lawyer, ideally with knowledge of government processes. As a contemporary legal professional with superior strategic capability and insight you will be regarded for a strong partnership approach. Offering established credibility within the criminal justice sector and or government legal practice, coupled with knowledge of current issues, you will be confident in the management of complex legal matters.
As a skilled decision maker, you will be effective in relationship building, government engagement and stakeholder management and possess superior communication and negotiation skills.
Requirements and relevant information:
- Court Advocacy experience is preferred, but not essential.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications are expected.
- To have been admitted, or to be eligible to be admitted, as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Possess a current “Unrestricted Practising Certificate” or eligibility to obtain unrestricted practicing certificate.
- Position located at 311 Spencer Street, Docklands VIC
- The successful candidate must be prepared to undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a National Security Clearance to the level determined by the Department Head. To obtain this clearance applicants must be an Australian Citizen.
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo pre-employment checks which may include fingerprint checks and misconduct screening.
If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact VPS Recruitment via email VPSRECRUITMENT@police.vic.gov.au or on (03) 8335 8081.
Victoria Police has a dedicated workforce of more than 22,000 employees consisting of police, protective services officers, police custody officers, and public service staff. Each employee plays a vital role in providing the 24/7, 365 days a year emergency response and public safety capability the organisation delivers to its community. As a Victoria Police employee, you have a dedication and commitment to community safety.
Having a workforce that reflects the community we serve is important to Victoria Police. We want to attract and retain people of all genders, ages, religions, disability, sexual orientation, family and caring responsibilities, and cultures including people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage. If you are interested in a position, we encourage you to apply as we celebrate the benefit that diversity brings to our employees, our services, and our community.
For more information about Victoria Police, visit: police.vic.gov.au
To apply – please go to fisherleadership.com and click on ‘APPLY ONLINE’ using reference VCPdle0921, addressing your cover letter, resume and 1-2 pages on why you have the right capability for this role to Kate Wheeler of Fisher Leadership, or call +61 1300 347 437 for further information.
Applications close: Sunday17 October 2021