General Manager, Loddon Prison and Middleton
- Bring collaborative team leadership to ensure community safety
- Welfare and safety focus with a human rights lens
- Operationalise trauma informed practice models
About the Business Unit
With both facilities being located in Castlemaine, the Loddon Prison is a medium security, campus-style prison with 468 beds within a secure perimeter.
Middleton Correctional Centre is a 236 bed, restricted- minimum, open campus prison with a focus on rehabilitation and reintegration. The restricted-minimum security facility helps inmates in the final stages of rehabilitation prepare for a return to life outside by engaging them in a variety of vocational and educational programs.
About the Role
The General Manager of Loddon Prison and Middleton is responsible for the good order and safety of the prison and for creating and sustaining a workforce culture built on solid values, professional excellence, and teamwork. The General Manager is to foster a safe and supportive culture and develop a structured day in which prisoners are constructively engaged and challenged through the Offender Management Framework to address their individual risks and needs in order to promote the best prospects of rehabilitation.
Reporting to the Assistant Commissioner, Custodial Operations, the General Manager leads and manages the delivery of correctional services at the prison to achieve the safe custody, welfare and rehabilitation of prisoners in accordance with relevant policies and standards. This includes building and maintaining partnerships with key service partners including health service providers, unions, rehabilitation services, community corrections and reintegration and transition supports to ensure an integrated approach to meeting the welfare and rehabilitation needs of prisoners.
The General Manager is responsible for driving the prison towards achieving its vision and direction in line with legislation and through a human rights lens, identifying and responding to emerging strategic issues and developing and implementing business plans. Day to day, the general manager will be leading staff at the prison, responding to incidents and implementing changes through the strategic projects. The General Manager will role model ethical leadership to create an organisational culture that enables others to perform at their best and achieve outcomes for the organisation.
They will be integral to driving implementation of reforms at the precinct, stemming from the Independent Cultural Review of the Adult Custodial Corrections System.
In addition, to be successful in this role you will bring:
- Operational experience gained in prisons, social welfare, clinical and other relevant complex human services operational environments, noting that prior custodial experience isn’t mandatory;
- Strong leadership and communication skills to ensure staff development and engagement;
- The ability to manage the prison financial budget against annual targets as well as forecast budget risks, and implement resource control measures in line with a culture of financial responsibility and improvement within the prison management team;
- Strong external relationship management;
- Ability to act in a timely and effective manner in managing day to day incidents/ emergency situations in accordance with the legislation through a human rights lens.
Corrections Victoria operates Victoria’s adult prison system, seeking to provide safe and secure environments that deliver programs and services supporting prisoner rehabilitation. Corrections Victoria runs 11 public prisons, one transition centre, and oversees three privately operated prisons.
- Pre-employment Security Check (Declaration Form);
- National Police Record and Fingerprints Check and International Police Clearance (if applicable);
- VicRoads Information Check;
- Drivers Licence Check(s) (if applicable).
- 3 doses of an approved COVID vaccine
To apply – please click on ‘APPLY ONLINE’ using reference DOJgmp1023, addressing your cover letter and resume, capturing key selection criteria to Dani White of Fisher Leadership, or call 1300 347 437 for further information.Download candidate information