General Manager, Risk Management
Our client is a significant insurance company and is seeking to appoint a General Manager Risk Management to contribute to the Risk and Compliance leadership team. As an enterprise risk specialist the role offers thought leadership and expertise to orchestrate the implementation and continuous improvement of the organisations strategic risk management frameworks across and its lines of business to influence and foster a risk-aware culture.
The General Manager, Risk Management, leads a team of 15 risk professionals with a focus on delivering and maintaining risk management frameworks and providing business-focused risk advice on key risk issues including conduct risk, cyber security risk, operational risk, business continuity, risk insights and reporting, strategic risks and informing risk aware decision making.
Working across the organisation, this significant leadership role requires the ability to think and plan to a two-year horizon, with an understanding of the risks of decision making and the lasting impacts it may have on the organisation long-term. A key factor of success will be well develop leadership and stakeholder engagement skills to foster relationships and understanding across the business.
- Deliver and maintain the risk management framework and risk appetite statement program across the organisation and its lines of businesses.
- Drive the awareness of risk culture across the organisation and provide expert advice to Executives on how to embed a sustainable approach to risk culture.
- Deliver effective and concise risk reporting, to ensure risk insights drive appropriate management of risks by the business.
- Provide expert risk advice on enterprise risk issues through the Group Executive, Senior Management, Audit & Risk Committee and Board, including conduct risk, cyber security risk, operational risk, business continuity, risk insights and reporting and key strategic risks.
- Provide leadership, guidance and coaching in the Risk Management Team which supports the risk management frameworks and the corporate risk strategies.
- Engage with and foster key external relationships to ensure effective engagement with the business model.
- Provide subject matter expertise on current and emerging risk issues.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the organisation’s business continuity management program.
- Research, develop and make recommendations to strengthen the organisation’s control frameworks, and conduct follow up reviews to ensure all accepted recommendations are implemented.
- Develop, document and continuously improve risk processes and procedures to ensure the company continuously meets the Board’s risk appetite and obligations to customers.
- Build a strong second line of defence through the effective management of a broad range of risk functions including enterprise risk, operational risk, technology risk and strategic risk.
- Develop relationships with Group Executives, Senior Management, and staff to influence and foster a risk-aware culture.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant business discipline and skills acquired through extensive practical experience.
- 8+ yeas experience in Risk Management, leading Risk Management functions within Insurance or Financial Services
- Significant experience in a governance, risk management, compliance within an insurance, corporate or commercially driven public sector environment.
- Well-developed understanding of business risk and mitigation strategies, ideally in the areas of insurance risk, privacy and conduct risk.
- Extensive successful experience building rapport and influence at all levels of an organisation from front-line to Board members.
- Experience in a role operating in a fast-paced environment with significant competing priorities, a decentralised leadership model and dealing with ambiguity
- Extensive experience in developing strong risk management strategies and frameworks whilst creating and maintaining strong partnerships with executives to drive results throughout the business.
To apply – please go to www.fisherleadership.com and click ‘APPLY ONLINE’ using reference OURgmr0521, addressing your cover letter and resume to Kate Wheeler or Pauline Gates of Fisher Leadership, or call 1300 347 437 for a confidential discussion.
Applications close: Tuesday 15 June